You Know It’s a Ghetto Salon…When…
(courtesy of DebraDickerson.com)
1. All the stylist wear house slippers
2. Four people are booked for the
same 1:00 appt.
3. Your stylist calls You at her salon
talkin’ ’bout, “I overslept but
I’m on my way.”
4. The Asian man from the carryout
comes to personally take food
5. Revolving-door hustlers peddle
everything from Gucci shades
to Coach bags
6. Your stylist has to finish her wing
dinner before she can start your
7. Your ears are ringing because Back
Dat Thang UP is blaring on the
radio & she’s singing along
8. A playpen, portable crib or stroller,
complete w/child — is a
9. Conditioner is extra
10. You want your real hair styled &
no one knows how
11. There’s a permanent Out of Order
sign on the bathroom door
12. You can’t see your finished hairdo
because the stylist has plastered
all the mirrors with pictures of
herself & friends —
mostly wearing something
13. There’s a receptionist station
— but no receptionist
This photo was in an Amtrak ad that appeared in Essence a few years ago.
Blogger: Brunsli http://brunsli.blogspot.com/search/label/hair
has a discussion on whether the model is wearing fake or real
locs. Or perhaps she has added extensions to her natural locs.
No matter, it is rare to see a loc sister in any major corporate ad.
Some folks were lov’in it and others were not impressed.
What do you think?
(Photo courtesy of http://nappyme.wordpress.com)
The Kink — Spirals like the DNA Molecule.
The DNA spiral is the program for all
Perhaps one day, we will regard our
kinkiness as divine as the ancients did,
calling kinks, the spiraling hair of the
Checking out an article by Djehuty Ma’at-Ra — He reminded the reader
that Perms are not Permanent! dherbs.com
He went on to school us about what Kwame Ture (formerly Stokely Carmichael)
said in the rap song by KRS-One — Ya Strugglin’:
No matter how hard you try to disguise yourself,
it can’t be done.
Africa is so strong,
that regardless of what you put in your hair,
she will snatch it off!
Our African Kink Rules & Refuses to be Put Down.